BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

BMW 325Ci: My 2001 bmw 325ci will not shift gears while the

My 2001 bmw 325ci will...
My 2001 bmw 325ci will not shift gears while the engine is on.
6/25/2013
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

Ok, so manual transmission. Push clutch in, but cannot shift into gear, correct?

Customer:

correct

BMWDoc :

And the brake fluid level has not dropped?

Customer:

no it is at max

BMWDoc :

Ok, this is unfortunately going to require transmission removal, as it sounds like there is a mechanical failure. Possible damage release bearing or pressure plate

BMWDoc :

how many miles on the car, and is it on the original clutch?

Customer:

third owner and about 130k

BMWDoc :

ok, so you may not have clutch replacement history information

Customer:

not likely to be a slave cylinder?

BMWDoc :

with the fluid level staying constant, that is extremely unlikely. Easy enough to remove/inspect/replace, but it's very doubtful that it's failed

Customer:

I can shift gears while it is off

BMWDoc :

Yes, that makes sense. That can be done in practically any manual transmission car with the engine off, and clutch not depressed

Customer:

so what is it not doing as far as you are consern

BMWDoc :

The pressure plate is not releasing the clutch disc completely when you step on the clutch pedal, either due to a failed throwout bearing or broken pressure plate

Customer:

is this common

BMWDoc :

on a car with these miles, if the clutch assembly is original, yes, common

Customer:

what parts are needed for this repair

BMWDoc :

Clutch kit, which will include the clutch disc, throwout bearing and pressure plate

Customer:

not good, no other options huh

BMWDoc :

if both cylinders are holding fluid, unfortunately not

Customer:

thanks anyways

BMWDoc :

believe me, I understand that this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but it's my duty to be as truthful as possible here, with the information I have

BMWDoc :

so, I suppose I ask that you please not shoot the messenger

Customer:

no problem

BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
BMWDoc
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner