BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

X3: BMW x3 leaking oil unto radiator 53,000 mi just out of

BMW x3 leaking oil unto...
BMW x3 leaking oil unto radiator 53,000 mi just out of warranty BMW wants 4k to repair says its a blown gasket
Is this a common problem?
Is price to repair reasonable?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2013
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

BMWDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

BMWDoc :

I have a couple questions for you, and will see if you're able to join live chat

Customer: I'm here
BMWDoc :

Looks like you were able to join live chat

BMWDoc :

excellent

BMWDoc :

Ok, now, a head gasket problem is not entirely common on these

BMWDoc :

have you owned the X3 since new?

Customer: No bought in 2008 with original and BMW used car warranty
BMWDoc :

Meaning CPO warranty? And did you have regular servicing done by BMW?

Customer: Yes until warranty expired. Continued service elsewhere
BMWDoc :

Ok, I've got to say that head gasket problems are extremely uncommon on these. What were the symptoms leading up to this?

Customer: Overheating for first time ever then oil started gushing towed to BMW
Customer: Some of the forums says gasket problems common at or about 60k miles. Mine has 53k miles
BMWDoc :

Ok, good information. When it started to overheat, how much further did you drive?

Customer: Just to safety and added coolant
Customer: BMW charged 500 just to check it out but still can't say how much to repair
BMWDoc :

500????

BMWDoc :

wow

Customer: Yes
Customer: We've bought 5 bows from this place
BMWDoc :

Ok, with the rarity of head gasket problems on these, I would first suggest a second opinion from an independent Foreign/Euro repair shop

Customer: Bmws not bows
Customer: That's our plan have it towed recommendation for zip code 92067?
BMWDoc :

Let me take a look

Customer: At first BMW said they could get a waiver from BMW headquarters just to get us in no doubt
Customer: Courtesy repair they said
BMWDoc :

Meaning goodwill warranty?

Customer: Yes
BMWDoc :

this is why I was asking ownership history

BMWDoc :

because they do have that possiblity

BMWDoc :

but if not, these guys have an excellent reputation

BMWDoc :

http://www.barons-service.com/

Customer: I know got it on our BMW x5
BMWDoc :

But they didn't ultimately offer this with the current problem?

Customer: Ok thanks are you going to charge the full $37?
Customer: where are theses guys?
Customer: Not yet but I'm good at writing
BMWDoc :

Actually, I don't know how the billing works. I just work on answering the tough stuff :-)

BMWDoc :

This shop is near Mirimar

Customer: Gotcha
BMWDoc :

Sorry, Miramar

Customer: Ok thanks
BMWDoc :

glad to help, and wish you luck with this. Hopefully, BMW steps up

Customer: They'd better the eejits
Customer: Gaelic for fools
BMWDoc :

LOL. If not, Barons has a fantastic reputation

BMWDoc :

LOL

BMWDoc :

I know that one

BMWDoc :

It's also Yosemite Sam for fools

BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner
BMWDoc
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner