BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

x3 35i: Hello,My 2011 X3 had recently engine misfiring,

Hello, My 2011 X3 had recently...

My 2011 X3 had recently engine misfiring, so I had it serviced at a BMW dealer shop. They said they switched the cylinders (changed some of their positions), and the misfiring sign didn't show up, but they told me it needs close monitoring. To begin with, why does engine misfiring occur, and how serious a problem is this? Is cylinder position switching an effective solution, or is it usually a temporary measure?

Thank you.
1/16/2013
BMW Mechanic: iauto8, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 years ago
iauto8
iauto8, ASE Certified Technician

iauto8 :

Switching cylinder positions is used as a diagnostic approach not as a repair. What the dealer probably did is switch the ignition coils to different cylinders. If the computer on the vehicle detected a missfire on lets say cylinder #1, however it was not missfiring when the technician looked at the vehicle. What he can do to determine cause is switch #1 ignition coil with another cylinder. If when your check engine lamp comes back on (and it will) if the missfire moved to the cylinder he switched the coil with it can be safe to assume the coil is faulty. If the missfire stays on cylinder #1 then more diagnostic measures will be needed. It could be a fuel injector or spark plug causing the problem. As to your question of what is missfiring. It is when incomplete combustion occurs in a cylinder. When a cylinder missfires that cylinder is no longer producing power. The computer on your car has the ability to see this occurring by measuring the speed of the crankshaft. It also will be able to determine which cylinder is at fault. The most common causes for missfiring cylinders are a failing ignition coil, spark plug or a problem with the fuel injector. Chris.....

Customer:

Customer:

Chris, Thank you for the kind explanation. I further checked with the dealer and they said they switched the injector. I guess this is the fuel injector that you mentioned. What happens when the fuel injector is switched (or replaced, but I am not sure if they replaced it)? Why do you think the dealer's technician told me to "closely monitor" this issue? Thank you.

iauto8 :

The technician was not sure of the cause of the missfire at the time he worked on your car. What he did is switch the fuel injector with another cylinder to see if the missfire follows the injector. If it does then the injector is at fault. He is expecting the service engine light to come back on and at that time will be able to properly diagnose the cause. Chris.....

iauto8
iauto8, ASE Certified Technician