BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

mini cooper: i just bought a 2003 mini cooper drove it home…

Customer Question
i just bought a 2003...
i just bought a 2003 mini cooper drove it home fine shifts into all 5 gears smoothly but when i went to start it when i got home i found it didn't want to start it cranks engine turns but does not want to start i waited 10 seconds roughly and tried again and sure enough it starts any idea why i went inside for a half hr tried again and it did same thing cranked engine turned didn't want to start waited 10 seconds roughly again and sure enough it starts i am stumped any idea
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/27/2012
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 9 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is Steve and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

what has been tested / checked?

nothing has been checked or tested i just hope i didn't wast 4,500 dollars on something that is going to be a money pit

so then the car needs to be cranked for a long time to start? is that the issue?

it cranked longer then it should so i stopped then started and it started right up

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must take correct action to complete our question.

If you do not rate as one of the top three ratings, I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever from the deposit you have paid. The higher the rating the better and I strive to provide the best answers that I can.

If you need more information please use the reply or "continue the conversation" link, please do not select a low rating - please just ask if you have additional questions.

If you select either of the lower two ratings this is a NEGATIVE for me and I am not compensated for my answer, so please reply if you have additional questions.

Please do not select either of the two lower ratings - please reply if you need more information

*

*

*

*

even if you "expected more" in terms of good news, please do not select a low rating as it PUNISHES ME for my honest answer.

*

*

*

*

most commonly this is cused by something that is allowing fuel pressure to bleed off

this can be an issue with the fuel pump check valve, leaky injectors or pressure regulator

it can also be an issue with no spark, which can be a problem with the ignition/computer or crank sensor

in rare cases it can be related to anti theft but I don't think that is too likely here.

the next step will be to have the fuel pressure tested and monitored when the car is shut off, to see if it is bleeding off, and to check for spark while cranking. This should not be a huge issue to have resolved, but proper testing will need to be carried out

best wishes with your new vehicle and with your repair

Remember, a low rating PUNISHES me for my honesty - thanks.

Please use the "reply" or "continue conversation" link if you have further questions. Otherwise please select a positive feedback rating (FAR RIGHT) so that I may be credited and compensated for the assistance I have provided.

Please do not select either of the left hand ratings - please simply reply if you require anything additional and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have. Thank you and best of luck with your vehicle