Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

530D: no sign of life from radio and clock in bmw 530d - 2002

no sign of life from radio and clock in bmw 530d - 2002 model.

Before it gave up altogether it occasionally turned itself off and back on again randomly - the knob to turn on/off and volume also functioned badly and volume control had to be done from the steering wheel.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

what has been checked so far?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nothing.

It's just happened and I'm trying to avoid taking it to a dealer to fix.

All I;ve done so far is disconnecting and reconnecting battery which has made no difference.

Thanks

is the radio and clock on the same unit on your model?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must take correct action to complete our question.

If you do not rate as one of the top three ratings, I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever from the deposit you have paid. The higher the rating the better and I strive to provide the best answers that I can.

If you need more information please use the reply or "continue the conversation" link, please do not select a low rating - please just ask if you have additional questions.

If you select either of the lower two ratings this is a NEGATIVE for me and I am not compensated for my answer, so please reply if you have additional questions.

Please do not select either of the two lower ratings - please reply if you need more information

*

*

*

*

even if you "expected more" in terms of good news, please do not select a low rating as it PUNISHES ME for my honest answer.

*

*

*

*

either the fuse is blown or the unit has failed internally and needs to be replaced

more likely unit failure based upon what you have described, unfortuantly

sorry to have bad news, but I trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated.

Remember, a low rating PUNISHES me for my honesty - thanks.

Please use the "reply" or "continue conversation" link if you have further questions. Otherwise please select a positive feedback rating (FAR RIGHT) so that I may be credited and compensated for the assistance I have provided.

Please do not select either of the left hand ratings - please simply reply if you require anything additional and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have. Thank you and best of luck with your vehicle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK - so if the unit is knackered is there anywhere you can recommend that I can buy a reconditioned or second hand one from?

Thanks

Please don't forget to CLICK ON a positive rating - thank you.

I do not receive any compensation until a positive rating is rendered

I would look for one on ebay

Thanks in advance for an EXCELLENT rating.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry... but i'm paying £15 for this and want my money's worth!

If I get one on ebay - or anywhere else - is it something a novice can fit? any tips on how to do it?

Thanks

all you need to do it remove the old radio and put in the new one

yes a novice should be able to do it but it depends on the person

Steve