BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

My 750 BMW will not start and will not crank

6/19/2012
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. Do you get any response at all when you try to start?
Apart from the seats and steering wheel adjusting nothing happens
Before reading my answer below, please note that you must take correct action to complete our question.

If you do not rate as: got the job done, helpful and informative, or great service, I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever from the deposit you have paid. The higher the rating the better and I strive to provide the best answers that I can.

If you need more information please use the reply or "continue the conversation" link, please do not select "expected more" or "helped a little" - please just ask if you have additional questions.

If you select "expected more" or "helped a little" this is a negative for me and I am not compensated for my answer, so please reply if you have additional questions.

Just answer is an honor system. Thank you.

The first thing to do would be to check all fuses. Sometimes a very random blown fuse can cause this. Also unhook the battery for one hour to reset all systems, and try a jump start just to be sure it isn't a battery issue.

Assuming the fuses are good and the battery reset does not help, nor a jump, then there are a few other things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.

1) bad key - try another one
2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.
3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral
4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS or CAS) - nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.
5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start.
6) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - this is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start.
7) dead starter/solenoid/relay - not likely, you would probably get some noise from it if this were the case.
8) bad ignition switch/cylinder - also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case

Of course, it could also always be something totally random like a wiring breakage or bad start button or problem with the engine control computer or other control module, but this is unlikely and hard to predict.

Please use the "reply" or "continue conversation" link if you have further questions. Otherwise please select a positive feedback rating (great service or helpful and informative) so that I may be credited and compensated for the assistance I have provided.

Please do not select "I expected more" or "helped a little" - please simply reply if you require anything additional and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have. Thank you and best of luck with your vehicle.
Hi, what additional information did you want / expect?

If you do not rate me positively I do not receive any compensation out of the payment that you have made? Please let me know what other information you require or what was unhelpful? Otherwise please select a positive rating so that I receive compensation for my time out of the payment you have already made. Thank you.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
My cranking problem is intermittent so I never know when it will start or not start.
Bryan, BMW Technician

When this occurs do you have any lights on the dash, or is there any messages that pop up and tell you something like battery discharged.

Has the battery module been replaced, and do the door locks work, the other functions of cas all should work fine?

All that aside sounds like a bad starter

Bryan, BMW Technician
Bryan, BMW Technician