Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

1998 BMW 528I: CHANGE OUT THE abs CONTROL MODULE AND I WAS WONDERING

ON MY 1998 BMW 528I WELL I HAVE TO CHANGE OUT THE ABS CONTROL MODULE AND I WAS WONDERING IF I REPLACED IT MYSELF WOULD IT HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE DEALER AND HAVE IT RECODED. AND WOULD THIS KEEP THE TRANSMISSION FROM SHIFTING.
PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED OR MULTIPLE QUESTIONS ACCEPT STILL NEEDS TO BE CLICKED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until the green ACCEPT button is pressed. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

yes you would need to have it programmed by the dealer if you replace it yourself.

yes a failed abs control module can prevent the transmission from shifting if it caused the transmission to go into failsafe mode (aka limp mode)

I would suggest you contact BBA Reman and/or Module Masters (you can find both on google) as one of them might be able to repair the module for you for around $300, and then you would not need to have it reporgrammed.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

Best wishes to you with your vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve