BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2002 BMW 325: fender..radiator..control arm..front tie rod assembly…

I have a 2002 BMW...
I have a 2002 BMW 325 xi which went over a pretty big curb straight on and had damage to the undercarriage. It required: a front sub frame, left and right inner fender liners, left grille filler piece, brake ducts, right side motor mount, ducts to front bumper, sway bar mount clamps, ducting for radiator, power steering pressure line, temp senders and wiring, left front control arm and left front tie rod assembly.

Insurance paid the claim, however, after completion the garage noted the power steering pump was not working. The adjustor looked at the pump and could see no damage, so insurance denied for "normal wear and tear", even though they paid to replace the pressure line which inevitably caused the pump to burn out due to lack of fluid.

What are the odds of a power steering pump simply to stop functioning due to normal wear and tear?
4/17/2012
BMW Mechanic: Sam, BMW Master technician replied 10 years ago
Sam, BMW Master technician
Hello and welcome to just Answer.

I'm sorry to be the barber of bad news but it is very common for these power steering pumps to fail. It is just a power steering pump that wasn't quite properly sized for the system. More than likely, the pressure line is being replaced due to the updated style pump being installed.

Running over the curb may have been "the straw that broke the camels back" so to say, but the pumps are failure prone and i could see the pump just failing on it's own.
The pump had been updated previously to correct the size. It was not the smaller version that was put in originally according to the garage. The car was purchased in 2007 with 33,000 miles on it. It had around 145,000 when the accident happened in 2012.
Why was the pressure hose replaced then?
It was cracked/slit due to the accident.
If the pressure hose was cut it all the fluid leaked out this is surely the reason for the pump failed. It should be covered by insurance.
Sam, BMW Master technician