BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

BMW: 2001 bmw 325i I am getting codes p1083 p1085 p0171 p0174

Customer Question
2001 bmw 325i i am...
2001 bmw 325i i am getting codes p1083 p1085 p0171 p0174 what i have done so far i have replaced the ccv and put a new fuel filter on. before all of this i replaced my valve cover gasket and all these things started to happen i had a smoke test done at the bmw dealership and told me to start with replacing the crankcase vent valve so here i am
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: BMW
4/14/2012
BMW Mechanic: redrkt535, BMW Technician replied 5 years ago
redrkt535
redrkt535, BMW Technician
hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can help you out with this. tell me what happened did you replace the valve cover gasket then all of this stuff started?
yes trouble codes came so i had them checked out they checked for vaccum leaks with a smoke test could not fine anything and told me the next place to start was with the crankcase vent valve
ok i would check before you get much farther into this thing, there is a vacuum line that fits onto a pod on the front exhaust manifold/catalytic converter. this hose goes alongside the head around the back of the valve cover and over to the intake manifold. i would check to make sure this is not pinched off in between the valve cover and head. if you didn't have these problems before the valve cover was replaced this is definitely where i would look first.
redrkt535
redrkt535, BMW Technician
i checked that line after i replaced the valve cover gasket because the line was so brittle it broke towards the front of the engine and did a quick repair on it with a vacuum line
i checked that line after i replaced the valve cover gasket because the line was so brittle it broke towards the front of the engine and did a quick repair on it with a vacuum line any other ideas
alright i would next check the hose going from the bottom of the ccv valve over to the oil dipstick tube. these will crack, and they are a special bmw only hose, but in a pinch you can carefully remove the hose from the bottom of the ccv valve, go to a local parts store and buy a section of hose the same diameter, and replace it. let me know what you find thanks ed
well when i changed out my ccv valve i replaced all the hoses that connect to it including the one from the bottom of the ccv but i think you might be right about that vacuum hose running along side the valve cover a small crack in that hard plastic could be causing all of this right??? and of course since i cant find that plastic at the local auto parts store can i replace it with rubber vacuum line through the whole thing all the way back to the intake manifold
yes definitely it would. you can replace it with vacuum all the way back. that is what i have done and would do.that plastic gets brittle and cracks all of the time. thanks and let me know if i can be of further assistance. ed
ok just changed the line with vacuum line check engine light is still on. How long should i wait to see if it resets itself or should i have some one clear it and see what happens. Also i for got to bring this up my idle even after i cleaned the throttle body idles from 600-to around 800 even after the car is warmed up
you need to get someone to reset the light for you. as far as the idle goes, it is controlled by the idle control valve it might be worthwhile to clean it with some good carb or brake cleaner blow it out and reinstall. one more quick thing, there is a hose coming out of the brake booster going to the intake, and may have a vacuum line splitting off of it going to the intake boot. make sure that is in tack.
ok when to autozone i had them read me the codes sameones but got p0313 misfire with low fuel she cleared them and the check engine light came back on about 15min later after the car was running. I also checked the vacuum line going into the intake boot still good plastic. any other ideas
Relist: Other. waited 2 hours i know its sunday

Country: United States
Make: BMW
Year: 2001
Engine: 2.5

Already Tried:

Picture

Your Expert needs more information

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:01 PM EST

You replied

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:03 PM EST

Picture

You have accepted an Answer!

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:22 PM EST

You replied

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:27 PM EST

You replied

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:27 PM EST

Picture

You have received an Answer!

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:34 PM EST

You replied

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:38 PM EST

Picture

You have received an Answer!

Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:42 PM EST

You replied

Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:20 PM EST

Picture

You have received an Answer!

Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:30 PM EST

You replied

Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:22 AM EST

You replied

Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:31 AM EST

Relist: Other.
waited 2 hours i know its sunday
go to the store where they read the codes, get some brake clean or some carb clean in an aerosol can, put the straw on it, and spray the length of the intake where it meets the cylinder head, spray around the throttle body, under the intake near where the ccv valve is, and take note of where you spray if the car idles up a bit. this is a way to check for air leaks. let me know what you find.
Ok sprayed it no throttle response and from when I replaced the ccv I inspected all the rubber as well as cleaned out the throttle body. Got any other ideas
how is the car running?
That's the crazy thing if the check engine light wasn't on you would never know anything was going on it runs fine
let me think on this a bit, i will get back with you give me say an hour ok.
No problem I appricate the help
the codes we are dealing with are all lean codes. everything in me tells me to go back to where you were working before you had these issues, so i would get that carb cleaner, spray all the way around the valve cover with the engine running, around on the back of the intake manifold where that vacuum line goes, there is another nipple back there that should have a cap on it, all the hoses to the ccv under the intake where the ccv is, intake boot from air mass meter to throttle body. i would also make sure the oil cap is seated, and the oil dipstick is in it's tube all the way as well.
Well I just got done spraying carb clean on pretty much every spot on the engine and something tells me someone else needs to look at it so I appreciate your help Ed but there is only so much you can do without getting hands on yourself so I schedule an appointment with the local BMW dealership and since I have already paid them they before they told me to go ahead and come back for free so I will def let you know what the problem was when they find out thank you very much and I will leave great feedback thanks
no problem at all sorry i couldn't help you get it resolved without going back to the dealership, but you are more than welcome to drop me a line if you have any other issues. thanks again ed.
redrkt535
redrkt535
redrkt535, BMW Technician