BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW 318ti: HI A plastic " connector? " to hose with clamp…

Customer Question
HI A plastic " connector? "...
HI
A plastic " connector? " to hose with clamp from cooling system broke and the hose popped off... my car overheated immediately. white smoke everywhere. I let it cool some, moved it to a safer place. People who were trying to help, poured water into the radiator overflow. It then all came out the hose at the broken stem area of the "connector?". A mechanic at pep boys wanted to charge me 500 just to be able to replace the part and i was told that was ridiculous that i could do it myself. I looked up a schematic and there seem to be two " connectors and I am not sure which to get and the also how it attaches please.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: BMW
3/31/2012
BMW Mechanic: Lee, BMW Technician replied 10 years ago
Lee
Lee, BMW Technician
Hello welcome to JustAnswer,

In 1995 the 318ti had the m42 or the m44 engine depending on the manufacturing date. Could you please specify which engine you have and whether it is a manual or automatic trans. Or if you supply the last 7 digits of the VIN number I can look it up.

Thanks
Ok ill go look up the vin but where do you find the engine # XXXXX Also i took a good look just now at the broken piece and it is a nozzle in the larger bolted onto the engine long plastic black tube. The most forward toward the radiator nozzle is the part that broke off into the short hose that has a clamp on it. The tip is still in the hose.
Decoding the VIN number will specify which engine your vehicle has.

If you could attach a picture of the broken piece that would help. If not I will look up a parts diagram.
ok vin WBACG6322SAM70775 and i took photos of the broken parts if you want me to send them ?
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX has the M42 engine. Here is a hose parts diagram. Is it one of these?
graphic
You should be able to attach the pictures onto the post. If there is a paperclip button in the post box that would be used to attach pictures.
I put the pix in but it wouldnt let me edit response.I think this is where part 12 in your diagram attaches.
The pictures came through. It looks like it is the plastic coolant connector on the block that broke. (#1)
graphic
As far as instructions for replacing this part let me see what I can find and I will post back shortly.
Thank you so very much for your assistance. If there is anything I could do myself that would be great. I think this is a correct photo of similar area ?
Please note that the green accept button must be pressed in order for me to receive credit for my help today. Thank You

Sorry for the delay, I lost internet connection half way through typing this.

The part is going to require removal of the intake manifold. This is why the mechanic at pep boys wanted to charge $500.

Plastic connector that broke is: 11 53 1 714 738.
O-ring where the plastic connector mounts into the block: 11 53 1 709 157
Intake manifold to block gasket: 11 61 1 734 684
Upper to lower intake manifold gaskets:11 61 1 739 545 (2 required)

You may want to consider replacing any coolant hoses attached to the broken part as well if the rubber looks deteriorated or weak.

Click Here for the instructions for removing the intake manifold (Be sure to press download to save a copy)

Click Here for the instructions to replace the plastic coolant pipe (Be sure to press download to save a copy)

Click Here for a reference to replacing this part on an M44 engine. It looks like this may be where you retrieved the last photo from so you may already have this link.

After replacing the coolant connector pipe, you will want to properly bleed the cooling system of air: Fill up the cooling system while squeezing the top cooling hose to help get the air out of the system.

Once the coolant is full at the top of the expansion tank opening, and there are no more bubbles emerging from the bleed screw, start the vehicle and turn the heater to max temperature and the fan on low speed. This opens up the water valve and gets air out of the heater core. Press the accelerator pedal to increase RPM (up to approx 3k) to help push any remaining air from the system. Then continue to squeeze the top of the radiator hose and keep filling the cooling system to get any other remaining air out of the system. Tighten the bleed screw and top up the overflow tank all the way. Reinstall the coolant cap.

After filling and bleeding the cooling system, I usually drive the vehicle to get it up to operating temperature and make sure everything is ok. Afterwords let the vehicle cool down, and then re-check the coolant level and top up if necessary. Do not open the cooling system right after driving the vehicle.

If you have any further questions or need me to clarify anything for you just let me know. Thanks!
going to wait and see if i need more information please or am i allowed to contact you back at any time about this same problem? I may have more questions once i get started . also what type of wrench .. metric?
You can post a reply at anytime if you have further questions.

BMW uses metric nuts/bolts. What wrench are you referring to?
to remove the engine bolts as in diagram - i don't have metric and have to get socket wrench metric that was all.. and yes you have been very helpful .. i am not familiar with the names of some references in the diagram so i may need to be sure what is what. Also do i need to disconnect the battery to work on this? And if i decide the job is too big for me about what should it cost to get it done reasonably - if you can guesstimate please.
Yes the battery should be disconnected first.

Price is really going to depend on the labor rate of the shop. It can be as low as $65 per hour at some independent shops, to up over $150 per hour at some dealerships.

Parts should only be around $40 - $50 dollars including a gallon of coolant.
Labor time is around 4.5 - 5.5 hrs.

So if the average shop charged $80 per hour at 5 hrs, plus parts, you would be looking at spending around $450 dollars to have this repaired.

Once you have the upper section of the intake manifold off, you should be able to access the pipe on the block. So really the lower section of intake manifold shouldn't even need to come off the engine, unless you need to access and replace other coolant hoses underneath.
Lee
Lee, BMW Technician