BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW 325i Sport Wagon: This is a challenging electrical problem,

Customer Question
This is a challenging electrical...
This is a challenging electrical problem, and an intermittent one. My 2008 E91 shows intermitent electrical problems. They come and go, but I noticed it has a direct relationship with WATER - usually after a rainy day or a car wash, the following items start malfunctioning :
1. Main power window control switch on drivers door : it goes absolutely dead, nothing works (no one of the windows, no power mirror, etc)
2. Climate control : blower doesn't work. When playing with the climate control panel, I can hear the AC compressor working, the ventilation selection (panel/windshield/feet) working, but no air blowing at all.
3. Internal lights - seem not to recognize the driver's door closing. Just after opening and closing for a second time they turn off. A similar issue also happens on other doors, even while driving. Yesterday, while driving, it suddenly alarmed open door (rear left) while internal lights turned on, and then, 5 sec later, stop alarming and lights turn off, as if I had actually shut the door.

I initially thought it was a power window switch issue, I replaced the driver's door unit ($180) but the problem still remains the same (with both old and new units).

The problems are intermittent and can happen all together or separately. The driver's power window main switch was dead for 4 days, today it came back alive. My AC blower went dead last week and it is still not working. In prior ocurrences, the time for the window switch or the climate control to go "back alive" ranged from 1 to 7 days. Really an intermittent issue, with wierd symptoms.

I wonder if those 3 different issues can trigger something on your mind, like a common harness that handles all three circuits and could be damaged, or a common connector on one of the car's electronic modules, that could have bad contact or be subject to some type of water leak.

Thank you.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2012
BMW Mechanic: Sam, BMW Master technician replied 10 years ago
Sam, BMW Master technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

It sounds to me like a problem with the front fuse box (Junction box or JB) or the JBE (junction box electronics). The JBE is connected to the Junction box and is the module that controls most power management functions.

All 3 of your problems have the JB in common. Furthermore, the JB/JBE are under the dash, on the passenger side, right below the windshield and where the sunroof drain is. A small water leak sounds like the culprit, possibly from the windshield or the sunroof drain.

Thank you for your reply, Sam. How can we confirm the failure on the JBE ? does the computer at the dealer have the capability to detect faulty connections on that module ? I tried disconnecting the 2 connectors in the front part of the JBE (blue and black) and reconnecting again. No sign of rust on the pins. I could not remove the big connector on the back (need to remove the whole assembly?). After unplugging are plugging back the front connectors, the AC still does not respond. Is replacing the whole JBE module a smart move, or is it the type of module that "either works at 100% or doesn't work at all", meaning that in my case the problem there would be in the connectors and not in the module itself ?

I would lean toward the JB itself.

To confirm, you need to check the power outputs out of the JB when the problem is happening.

Sam, BMW Master technician