BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

1997 bmw 328ci: manually..two motor by pulling the lever..windshield…

How do i manually lower...
How do i manually lower the top on my 1997 BMW 328C which ha a fully auto top. I have already disengaged the two motor by pulling the lever under rear seat. And have unlocked the top from the front windshield uing allen wrench. However the top won't pull back down to store.
3/24/2012
BMW Mechanic: Sam, BMW Master technician replied 10 years ago
Sam, BMW Master technician
Hello and welcome to just Answer.

How far off of the windshield frame is the front top bow? The front bow will need to be up pretty high before it will allow the top to go down.
i can budge it up only about 4 or five inches. Not enough for the back window to be lifted off the boot cover.
It sound like the front bow is not raised off the windshield frame far enough. You will need to keep turning the drive in the motor in the upward direction further before the top can be lowered.
whne you say keep turning, are you referring to the allen screw between the front visors, or the top lower motor in the trunk? If motor,, since it already disengaged do i turn the gear head by hand?
Sorry about that. Yes, i mean the allen between the visors. That is the front bow/latch drive motor. Just keep turning the same way that you did to unlatch the latches.
Sam, i think we're close i've turne the hex many times an now its much higher i can now flip up the back window off the book cover. However now the rear boot cover does not open. Any ideas?
It sounds like the motor for the storage cover may have not completely disengaged. You can try to pull the release handle again. If the storage cover still does not release then you'll need to go into the trunk in manually disconnect the storage cover motor. The motor for the storage cover is located just on the left side of the truck behind the trunk trim panel, just ahead of the left tail lamp. You will see the release lever that is attached to the emergency release cable. Pull the small lever and give the motor a push outward toward the rear fender.
Sam, BMW Master technician