Autohaus LKN
Autohaus LKN, Shop Owner
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Owner of a European specialty shop
6758627

BMW X5 4.4i: 2001 x5 replaced timing chain guides without replacing

2001 x5 replaced timing chain guides without replacing or removing chain or sprockets. Engine fired right up, getting cam timing codes and vehicle is stalling on decel has good acceleration. Seems to have engine noise that customer says has been normal for a long time. Would engine run if chain jumped one tooth at crank when we installed guides? Or is it possible he has a pre existing vanos problem (engine noise) that's causing these issues.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Autohaus LKN replied 5 years ago.

Auto LKN :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Auto LKN :

I see that you are currently offline. If you still need assistance, please respond back when you get a chance and we can continue.

Auto LKN :

Thanks

Customer:

Hello, I should be online for the day now, if you need me to get me on the computer, email me and i can be online within a minute.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

i have 2 codes 11 and 21 bank 1 and 2 over advance

Auto LKN :

Were these codes present prior to the repair?

Customer:

Not those exact codes, but there were codes pertaining to the vanos system

Customer:

What would my best bet be to check valve timing? Do I absolutley need the special tools?

Auto LKN :

Yes, unfortunately, you WILL need the special tools to even check the camshaft timing.

Auto LKN :

There are a few places that sell these tools

Auto LKN :

Baum Tools, AST, Pelican Parts (you can google these names)

Auto LKN :

I know a shop that ordered the tool set off of ebay and they claimed they worked really well, for the cost (less than $200)

Auto LKN :

This X5 has the M62TU motor, if it helps in your search for tools

Auto LKN :

I suspect that the guide being broken, or the working around the chain with the guide removed may have let one of the chains slip.

Auto LKN :

This car will run of off a tooth, so you will need to check the cam timing to verify.

Auto LKN :

Since you also had codes prior to the repair, its possible that you may have a faulty or jammed vanos or solenoid.

Auto LKN :

But since both banks set codes (as you posted), I suspect a timing issue. I would definitely check that before digging into the VANOS assemblies.

Customer:

Sorry I havent replied for a while, I do have 1 other question. If I get these tools to check the timing, will I be able to correct the valve timing by making a correction @ the camshafts ( move the chain via the cam spockets and not have to remove the lower timing chain cover etc..)