Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2003 bmw m3 has power wont turn over

2003 bmw m3 has power wont turn over
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

what exactly happens when you try to start the car

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nothing happens, does not crank at all but has plenty of power
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Do you get any noise at all or dimming of lights?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

thanks one moment please

Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must press the green ACCEPT button in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

The first thing to do would be to check all fuses. Sometimes a very random blown fuse can cause this. Also you can unhook the car's battery for 1 hour to reset all systems.

Assuming the fuses are good, then there are a few things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.

1) bad key - try another one

2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.

3) bad immobilizer (aka EWS) - nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.

4) issue with SMG control unit (SMG transmission only) not sending "safe to start" signal that the car is in neutral

5) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - this is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start.

6) dead starter / solenoid - not likely, you would probably get some noise from it if this were the case.

7) bad ignition switch/cylinder - also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case

Of course, it could also always be something totally random like a wiring breakage, but this is unlikely and hard to predict.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve