JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  14 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

2004 745li: flashing..it cause my idrive and instrument panel to blink

My idrive is flashing off and on on my 2004 745li, its also saying my dynamic drive is inactive. i just got it from bmw today and they said my car is in perfect condition. what could be the problem and would it cause my idrive and instrument panel to blink off and on?
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

Can you please provide the last 7 digits of the vehicle VIN?

-JP
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ds55658

As far as the dynamic drive warning, it is likely the fluid in the system may be low, it is not uncommon for the front stabilizer bar to leak fluid. I would start by checking the fluid level of the power steering, this also incorporates the fluid for the dynamic drive system. It is a large black reservoir that state CHF-11S only on the cap.

As far as the idrive issue, it is likely just a programming glitch. 90% of audio related concerns can be rectified by simply updating the vehicles software. This is done by the dealer, and usually is a $250 charge for 2 hours of the technicians time to program the car.

Secondly, the amplifier in your model vehicle is also a known failure; this can also cause the static your experiencing, and can also cause malfunctions with the entire audio system. The system works on a fiber optic loop, and when one module is failed, the loop goes down, causing problems on the other modules. This can be diagnosed using a bmw scan tool, which the dealer can run a audio system analysis, to determine which module is, if any, at fault.

Sorry to say, but it looks like a trip to the dealer may be your least expensive choice, in order to not just throw parts at the car.

Hope this helps, please be sure to use the accept button as this is the only way I receive credit for my work.

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i just got it from the dealer yesterday and they said everything was in tip top shape! Then i leave and the dynamic drive inactive warning comes on. they should have topped off all the fluids right? And my audio system is fine. its the idrive screen that was blinking off and on once it said dynamic drive inactive.

Yes, they should have topped off the fluids, but they may have overlooked that.

Also, your idrive screen is tied into the audio system. All the components on this system operate through fiber optics, is one component fails it can cause others to act erratic. Hence, if your telephone module has a glitch, it can cause the screen to malfunction.

-JP