BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2005 645ci: Malfunction..goes away..spark plugs..the alternator

Customer Question
I've been getting a "Dynamic...
I've been getting a "Dynamic Drive Malfunction" error message on my 2005 645ci. It comes on randomly and goes away when the car is turned off. Tried a new shop this weekend to get the spark plugs replaced - mentioned the issue to the mechanic and he said that some times when the alternator begins to go it can cause the car to throw codes and the Dynamic Drive Malfunction was one of them. Is that possible?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: BMW
10/31/2011
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must press the green ACCEPT button in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

It is possible for the alternator to cause this warning, yes. However, there are a number of other things that can commonly cause this warning, so I would definitely NOT jump in on an alternator replacement until the fault memory is read out of the dynamic drive system to confirm the problem. Having the fault memory read will verify the issue, and allow you to proceed with the proper repairs and eliminate all guess work.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with your repairs.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

thank you in advance.

Steve

What other issues could be causing the Dynamic Drive Malfunction error? What's an acceptable range for volts for the alternator? What reading would be too high?

It should be right around 14V to 14.5V with the car running

There are a number of things that can cause this message aside from the alternator. A problem with the dynamic drive control module, a problem with the front sway bar, a low fluid level in the system, a failing steering angle sensor, etc.

Again, the fault memory must be read out of the system to confirm. Only then can appropriate repair measures be carried out.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Last question. Assuming it is one of the things you mentioned can you estimate $$ for the parts/repair?

dynamic drive control module -

problem with the front sway bar -

failing steering angle sensor -

$800

$1500

$500

thank you in advance.

Steve

Any of these issues "dangerous" (cause an accident / wheel fall off type stuff) or are they more performance "feel" types of issues?

Please do not forget that you must press the ACCEPT tab for me to receive credit for my assistance today.

They are not likely to be dangerous, but I would have it rectified sooner than later.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
OK. Thanks for your help. I'm hitting the accept Answer tab this time.
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert