Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2007 BMW 525i: Engine temperature/engine overheated warning appears

Engine temperature/engine overheated warning appears after driving 3 miles in my 2007 BMW 525i. Collect level ok, what's the problem?
Category: BMW
Expert:  JacobTD replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My names Jacob and I can help you Identify and correct this issue.
I see you're online, So this should be a breeze. Can you please identify all know History,
Like any services, repairs, or other known issues. Please also provide the 8th digit of your vin.
This is so I can provide you with accurate Information on your model. I will be Online, and await
your reply
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am willing to pay $30
Expert:  JacobTD replied 5 years ago.
When you checked coolant was it Hot? did pressure release when removing cap? Does heater or defrost blow warm after normal amounted time to warm?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am willing to pay $30 if you accept this amount my vin number is XXXXX
Expert:  JacobTD replied 5 years ago.
You say that again... I see you must have selected the wrong amount. No problem, Ill send to the right person to correct this... Then just ask again. Sorry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Coolent nor cap wasn't abnormally hot nor boiling over. No leaks appeared on my garage floor. After driving about 3-4 miles the engine temperature warning message shows, shortly afterwards the engine overheated message comes on. Once I turn off the engine in the garage I can hear the fans trying to cool the engine.
Expert:  JacobTD replied 5 years ago.
Check your oil to see if its milky please. If i am right then It would be turning over easyer then normal almost like you had a super charged battary. Head gaskets can leak in meny different ways, I hope this isnt the problem. DO you have access to compression tester?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand your reply this seems to be more a relay or electrical problem then gasket or milky oil situation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your reply makes no sense
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

I am familiar with this problem you are describing on your N52 engine.

I do not think the other expert was familiar with your problem. On your vehicle you have an electrical water pump. When this begins to fail it will give you the temperature warning and the electrical fan will come on high. Sometimes even just restarting the vehicle can correct this for a short time.

The problem is internal in the electrical water pump as the speed is monitored by the engine control unit. When it identifies a problem the overheat warning will be displayed.

I have a video describing this on an x3 with the same style water pump.

I hope this information is helpful. Please accept this answer by pressing the ACCEPT tab. You will not be charged again but this will transfer your deposit for my assistance today. If I can help you further please let me know. If I can help you in the future please ask for Roger. Thank you.

Here is the link for the same situation you described that I have made a video on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqFS0h0eOI

Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience: 10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.