BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

My Bmw Does Not Start. What Do I Do?

Customer Question
My BMW won't start. No...

My BMW won't start. No crank, no click, no turnover. Battery is good. Alternator is good. All fuses are fine? What do I do next?

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: BMW
6/5/2011
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

You asked this question already and I answered it. The question is still open.

Please return to your original question: http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/52q7w-bmw-528i-2000-bmw-528i-cant-find-second-fuse.html

Ok Steve. That has been done. What should I try next?

So you get nothing whatsoever when you try to start the car?

And you have tried a jump?

And the car is auto transmission?

Yes tried to jump. All the power in the car works fine. Windows, radio etc. Yes it is automatic.

Thanks.

There are a few things that can cause this. While not all can be troubleshooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.

1) Bad key - Try another one

2) Bad brake light switch - Make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.

3) Shifter not fully in park - Try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral

4) Bad immobilizer (aka EWS) - Nothing can be done - zero. Dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.

5) Bad transmission position switch (located on side of the auto transmission, accessed from under car) - This is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start.

6) Dead starter solenoid - Not likely, you would probably get some noise from it if this were the case.

7) Bad ignition switch/cylinder - Also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

Thank you.

Which of these would cause the Battery/alternator light to come on while driving the vehicle?

None of them normally.

That would be caused by a failing alternator or battery.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

I've had the alternator and the battery tested. Both are fine.....?

Then could be a problem with the instrument cluster or battery sensor. Or the drive belt. Also, sometimes these items can test okay but still be bad.

Thanks

Since I've the battery and alternator tested. Is it possible the starter or the starter relay?

Right, and I am saying they can sometimes test okay and be fine. Regardless, this is not the cause of your no start.

Could be the starter relay if your car has one. Usually relays don't go bad.

I have already stated that the problem could be the start solenoid. You will need to test for power to the starter when the key is in the start position.

Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press "ACCEPT" so that I receive credit for doing so.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert