Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2005 X3: i reset my service engine soon light..emissions test

How do i reset my service engine soon light? 2005 X3. Background: car failed emissions test in Maryland. Just came from shop were problem (running lean) was tracked to an aftermarket air filter. light went off for two days and is now back. Gas cap tight.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What fault code is stored?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where do i find the fault code?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*

*

The check engine light comes on when the car's engine management system senses a fault, and this sets a fault code.

There are dozens and dozens and dozens of reasons for this light to come on.

The only way to determine why this light is on is to have the fault memory read from the car using a compatible scan tool. Once the fault memory is read, the failed component can be identified and replaced, and the light switched off using the scan tool. Many parts stores will do this for free, so check with those near you. If you cannot find a local parts store that scans faults for free, then you will need to pay to have the memory read out at a shop with the proper equipment.

If the light went out for 2 days and then came back, it is most likely still the lean code and the air filter was not in fact the problem. you likely have an intake air leak or a failed mass airflow sensor.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

Many thanks.

Steve