BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW 530i: recently changed..flat tire..Im using winter tires…

I have a 04 BMW...
I have a 04 BMW 530i and have recently changed the tires win non run flat tires, now it is showing a flat tire message at the information system, how can I tell the system to ignore that. I'm using winter tires.
Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/27/2011
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Did you change the wheels and tires over when you installed the winters? If so, do you have metal valve stems in the wheels?

-JP

Not sure, so is there a way around for this year model?

You need to check your original wheels and tires to verify the valve stem type, if they have metal valves stems, you also need to have metal valve stems/ sensors in your winter tire setup. There is no way around the warning light if there are sensors installed in the wheels.

-JP

Ok, did replace the wheels as well, can I bring the valve stems from the old wheels into the new wheels? Do you have a picture of the valve so i can identify it?

The metal valve stem is shown below, the cap may be different on your vehicle- you would need to swap over the valve stem and sensors, to do this the tire has to be removed from the wheel.

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/data/780/TPMS_Valve_Stem.JPG

Please use the accept button as this is the only way I receive credit for my work.

Thanks, JP

JayPutelis