BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a front drivers side wheel bearing going out on my

Customer Question
BMW xi all wheel drive...
I have a front drivers side wheel bearing going out on my BMW xi all wheel drive car. I would like to know if changing out this bearing requires the bearing to be pressed off and on? Also want to know what tools are required to do this job and if I can get a quick run down of the steps.....
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: BMW
1/8/2011
BMW Mechanic: JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech replied 7 years ago
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Could I have the last 7 digits of the vehicles VIN?

-JP

PG19091

The bearing DOES have to be pressed in; after removing the brakes and the front axle shaft, the wheel hub has to be pulled off using a slide hammer, then the bearing can be pressed out using a wheel bearing press tool, which has special sized cups that allow the wheel bearing to be pressed out and in.

You would have to purchase the correct sized cups that are specific to the bearing size, this will be costly, especially if they will be used for this one job. I would recommend leaving this one to a repair shop that has the tools.

I have provided you with the instructions for the bearing repair also:

Replacing Bearing For Front Wheel

Caution!
Bearing cannot be dismantled. Do not wash out bearings.

Remove swivel bearing.
Clamp swivel bearing with aluminum clamping jaws in vise.
Secure special tool 33 2*****flange with 5 wheel studs.
Drive out drive flange with special tool 33 4 200.

Caution!
The wheel bearing is destroyed when the drive flange is removed and must not be reused!

Installation:

Draw in drive flange with special tools 31 2 113 and 33 3 261/266/268.
If necessary, detach bearing inner race from drive flange.

Lift out circlip (1).

Installation:
Replace snap ring (1). Ensure ring is correctly seated.

Pull out bearing with special tools 31 2 113 and 33 3 261 /262/266.

Note: The bearing can be forced out of the swivel bearing on a press.

Caution!
The press-fit surfaces must be clean and free from oil and grease!
Coat bearing seat in swivel bearing over 50 % of its length with Loctite 648.
Wider chamfer of bearing must point to swivel bearing!

Installation:

Wider chamfer (1) of bearing must point to swivel bearing.

Installation:

Draw in bearing with special tools 31 2 113 and 33 3 261 /264/268.
The bearing can be forced out of the swivel bearing on a press.

Hope this helps, please use the accept button as this is the only way I receive credit for my work.

Thanks, JP

JayPutelis
JayPutelis
JayPutelis