Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My transmission malfunction light comes..mins..reprogrammed

My transmission malfunction light comes on for about 5 mins and then goes off. Has the transmission software reprogrammed to default mode causing the light to go out? Do I need to see a repair facitlity? I bought the vehicle used and am under customer care program. The transmission has been a problem from the beginning. The DME and EGS have been reporgrammed.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

you need to take it in for diagnostics and repair. The light coming on and going out indicates and intermittent fault - possible loose connection in transmission wiring harness either at transmission or DME, intermittent short in wiring harness, or fault in DME itself.
This is further indicated by inconsistent shifting. Without knowing the fault code being currently set, I cant get more specific as to the location or nature of the fault, but can only confirm that there is a definite fault in the system

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.