BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2000 323i: Solenoid Valve Running Losses Control Circuit Electrical

Customer Question
p1145 on a 2000 323i...
p1145 on a 2000 323i, Solenoid Valve Running Losses Control Circuit Electrical. where is this valve and what does it do.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: BMW
12/18/2010
BMW Mechanic: George, BMW Technician replied 6 years ago
George
George, BMW Technician

George :

Can I have the last 7 digits of your VIN #

Customer:

fp76783

George :

Thank you give me a few moments to get the information together for you.

George :

Sorry for the delay the site has been locking up, I will have the info for you in 1 minute.

George :

The valve directly in the center of the picture with the hoses going to it is the running losses valve (Know as the 3/2 Valve in the BMW world)

George :

It function is to return the fuel that is not needed at the fuel injector rail, straight back to the fuel tank for emmissions purposes. The used to have all the fuel go up to the fuel rail and what ever wasn't used would return to the fuel tank, but the fuel was being heated by the engine which causes more emmissions gases.

George :

So they used this valve to return the fuel that was not being used back to the tank so it would not be heated by the engine.

George :

You will need to check for power and ground being supplied to the valve and see if the valve is activating, if it is not it will need replacement.

George :

If I have answered your question i ask that you please accept.

Customer:

you did. can i ask another?

George :

What is your question?

Customer:

when i start the car cold. and let it idle it will misfire. check engine light comes on and the code is for #5 misfire. if you start it could and drive off without letting it idle much of start it hot it is fine. when it is misfiring it will not stop on its own, but at any time you can shut it off and restart it and the light gos out and it runs normal. any ideas?

George :

Yes but since this is a new question you will need to accept this answer 1st, and then you can submit your new question and if you would like me to handle your question you can address it to me. If you would like any of the experts to address your question you can just submitt the question without addressing it to me. I would recommend that the value of this question would not be the same as this question due to the type of problem it is.

Customer:

sorry first time!

George :

No problem at all we are here to help with any question you have.

George
George, BMW Technician

Thank you very much,

George

I will always leave positive feedback all I ask for is the same.

George
George
George, BMW Technician