Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 745i: how do I change the halo lights on a 2002 BMW 745i I

how do I change the halo lights on a 2002 BMW 745i
I took the 2 top screws off the light assembly, and it move a bit, but won't pull out.

Hello and welcome to justanswer BMW.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

In order to access these bulbs, you must remove the entire headlight assembly. And to remove the headlight, the bumper must be removed first.

Unfortunately this is a very large undertaking for a simple bulb replacement.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you. It has been my pleasure to assist today.

Many thanks and good luck,

Steve

Hi again,

Here is a link that might help.

CLICK HERE FOR LINK

Many thanks and good luck,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot dislodge the bumper trim, I am using a flat screwdiver, but having trouble, should I use a thinner one.

I assume that is step one.
Yes that is how you start. Try a thinner one. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to press the green "accept" button. Thanks. Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot get in between the trim and the rest of the bumper, it just doesn't give. Are you sure that is the way, because my front looks a bit different from the pictured one.

Yes that is how it comes off, per this image: CLICK HERE

you come in from the center, towards the outside with your pry tool, per the red arrow I have drawn for you.

Thanks,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Once you pry it as shown, do you look for the plastic hooks and push down on them? By the plastic hooks I mean the tabs that hold the trim to the rest of the car. I need to see these tabs so I can press down on them, I assume they are on the top side of the trim evenly spaced.

It should just pull off once you get the end pryed up.

Thanks,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, I took the trims off and all the screws, how exactly does the bumper come off? is there a trick to it, or just pull it out from the front?
The sides seem to have clips vertically, so do you pull down on the sides first??
It slides out to the front. Make sure It is not fastened to any air baffles or splash guards underneath. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to press the green "accept" button as this is the only way I am credited for the assistance I have provided today. Thank you. Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
damn, I finally took that bumper off!!
Now is the light assembly held on by 4 screws? I took the 2 top off, are there 2 more below I should be removing??
Yes there are more bolts at the rear. These should be shown in the link I posted. Please do not forget to press the green "accept" button as this is the only way I am credited for the assistance I have provided today. Thank you. Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX finish, I will.

You are welcome.

Thank you in advance for accepting and ensuring my compensation.

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more thing, I inadvertently removed a square metallic connector(the one with a hi-voltage symbol on it),located in the driver's side light assembly and even though I line it up correctly it does not want to move in enough so that I can twist it in.I pushed it in without twisting it as I cannot do this,I wedged a piece of foam against it and the outside cover, but now the passenger side lights don't come on.
I have really used all possible strengh and stopped as I heard the inside move a little, Something will probably break if I push it more.

I was thinking that if it is not in the correct detent position, I could probably break off the end tabs and twist it a little to the correct position and then use a wedge against it and the weather cover, to keep it in place.
What do you think??

Hi again,

This is a tough one. You should be able to re-assemble everything as it was before you started, I have never come across a situation where the headlight refused to re-assemble properly.

My advice would be to keep working at it, they can sometimes be difficult to get together. Worst case, yes, you could try to break the tabs and then wedge it in, but I would only use this as a last resort.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have furhter questions.

Thanks,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you know the name of this module or assembly, it is metallic and located on the driver's side assembly, it is in the biggest compartment and is accessible without removing the bumper.

Can you please identify it below, so I am certain what you are referring to. I am assuming it is part 2 in the first image...

Parts diagram

Parts diagram

Parts diagram

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's No. 2 on the first illustration.

That is the ignition element.

Please let me know if you have furhter questions.

Thanks,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would that cause the other headlight(on the passenger side) to not work?? I'm guessing it is not seated properly, so it affects the passenger side lights.

Not normally no. You should re-check your connections on the other side as well.

Thanks,

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
funny, I haven't touched the other side yet, just took bumper off and resting it on a box....maybe light is unbalanced, where one is new and other is old, I got them through ebay, but they should be fine.

I will press that Green button now, after I send this. I hope I can ask a follow up question later?
Mel

It could be totally unrelated and just a coincidence. Could be a defective light as well... I have seen stranger things...

You will still be able to ask follow up questions after pressing accept, yes.

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just remembered, I only saw the halo lights on, not the main lights, so I guess the ignition element is not making proper contact. I just don't know why it won't depress in enough, was this machine installed?

It is not uncommon for these to be replaced by hand. I don't know how it's done at the factory.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to reconnect the wire harness in the driver's side, so now I do have the main light and the halo working on driver's side, the passenger side, only the yellow signal light comes on.
I will check it tomorrow.

best of luck

hopefully it is also something simple
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still haven't looked at the non working lights.
Question: Will I need a reprogram because I changed halo lights?
The seller of the bulbs stated that lights will not bring up codes.
no there is no reprogramming to change a bulb
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey Steve, the xenon igniter is positioned that the wire connector on it is at the top,right? because that is how I tried to position it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes that sounds correct.