BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Why does my radio turn off and on by itself?

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: BMW
11/9/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 7 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hi there,

do you have navigation?

does the whole radio panel go off, or just the sound?

Steve

Hi Steve,

First thanks for responding to my question. My BNW is a 1998 540i.
I don't have navigation on it. In answer to your question the whole panel turns off and also the horn fails to work and the backup sensor also is deactivated when this happens. I was wondering if there is a fuse or relay I can replace?

Hi again,

It is my pleasure to assist.

It sounds to me like you may have an issue with your ignition switch. When this component fails, it will cause all sorts of weird, random, unrelated errors. A replacement is approximately $100USD plus 1 hour of labor.

The other possibility is that the radio itself has an internal fault, and, when it turns itself off, it is drawing excess current, causing the other faults. I know of other instances where this turned out to be the issue.

My recommendation would be to start with the ignition switch, as it is fairly inexpensive and consider replacing the radio if the problem persists.

Please let me know if I can help you any further or answer additional questions pertaining to your vehicle. I hope my description has been helpful.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please do not forget to press the green ACCEPT button as this is the only way I am credited and compensated for my time and effort. I receive nothing whatsoever until ACCEPT is pressed.

Many thanks and good luck with your vehicle.

Steve