Cory
Cory, BMW Technician
Experience:  25 years of BMW repair
48496350

2001 x5: 3.0...water pump and thermostat..keeps overheating

i have a bmw 2001 x5 3.0. the water pump and thermostat have been replaced but it still keeps overheating. it does definitely have some electriccal issues. i've been thinking i need to trade it in but i do love this rig.....nearest dealer is 60 miles away so not dealing with BMW mechanics ....thanks Dcski Jackson WY
Category: BMW
Expert:  Cory replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Keith :

What was the original problem? Overheating? Before and after, water pump and thermostat? Whoever installed them, did they open the plastic bleeding screw on the reservoir?

JACUSTOMER-ldtr87jv- :

origional problem was the overheating. it was not extreme i could put on the heat and it would cool down add some fluid and it was ok. did this intermittently. took it in and had the 2 items replaced now it definitely is worse. was driving home from the shop over a 9,000 ft pass and all the coolant seemed to blow out and overheat. car went into a crawl mode 10-15mph. let it cool down and got it home it is now being towed to a different shop.

JACUSTOMER-ldtr87jv- :

they did tell me at the shop i just had it that they thought i was ???vapor locked and that all it needed was to burp the air out but apparently that was not the case.

Keith :

Unless it is airlocked or the fan is not working, it does not sound good at all! They blow head gaskets pretty easy and once they do, you must take it to a knowledgable independent shop or the dealer. The dealer will tell you, you need a new engine, that the head gasket cannot be replaced. Try $10,000.00! But a good independent that has experience with these and the proper dual vanos cam timing tools can repair it. Don't let anyone tell you, it can be done without a problem. Here is what happens, after the head is removed, when you try to torque the head bolts down it pulls the threads out of the block! However, an experienced mechanic will inform you, that time serts or steel inserts can be installed in the block. Total cost is around five thousand dollars. I have done many. Sorry. Please click accept. Thanks Cory

Keith :

Might be time to trade as is.

JACUSTOMER-ldtr87jv- :

so 5k or trade it in??

Keith :

Yes, unless it is airlocked or fan is inoperable. How many miles, let me guess! 110k?

JACUSTOMER-ldtr87jv- :

yea like 122k and i've replace the tranny to the tune of 10k kinda sucks

JACUSTOMER-ldtr87jv- :

sorry 5k on the tranny???

JACUSTOMER-ldtr87jv- :

if it is a blown head gasket will it still run smooth and start up ok?? no white smoke etc.??

JACUSTOMER-ldtr87jv- :

are there 2 fans one is definitely working the other may be questionable?

Keith :

Sometimes yes, depends where the gasket leak is. As far as the fans, one main and one auxiliary. Let me know if you have any more qustions.

Keith :

Cory

Keith :

Please click accept, if I helped you. Thanks Cory