BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

07 335i: Kit..oil cooler..auxillary radiator and the new fan..wiring…

Customer Question
I am considering installing the...
I am considering installing the BMW Performance Power Kit in my '07 335i, but without the BMW software. I already have Dinan's Stage 2 software & oil cooler installed, so all I really want is the auxillary radiator and the new fan and the related hardware, wiring, etc. However, BMW says a car with my build date requires a new DME (MSD81), and I'm not sure why but I assume it's for software reasons. So my question is, will the new fan, relay and radiator work with the old MSD80 DME even though it would be operated by the original software program or Dinan's program?? Looking at the wiring diagram in the kit instructions leads me to believe the signal from the DME to the fan relay is using the same wires for either the MSD80 or the MSD81 so is it safe to conclude the MSD80 would drive the new fan OK, or is the signal strength different requiring a beefed up circuit which is in the MSD81 only? Or is it somthing else?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/30/2010
BMW Mechanic: Thebmwbum, BMW Foreman replied 8 years ago
Thebmwbum
Thebmwbum, BMW Foreman

H

In checking the data ,I think the software sensitivity may be the primary concern between the 2 operating systems,you should be able to resolve this by programing the cip to a higher integration level,this can also be checked through the key reader.

cost wise should be less than 2 hours.

the latest is is 2.37.2

Thanks

Hope this helps ,please accept my answer for me to receive compensation

And Thanks Againgraphic

Thebmwbum
Thebmwbum, BMW Foreman
Is software sensitivity an issue if you do not install the BMW Performance software? It is not clear to me why the original software wouldn't operate the new fan in the same manner as it does the original fan. I can't program the cip to a higher level--that would be a dealer operation, assuming they would understand what I am trying to do. Sounds like I will have to abandon my plan. Thanks for your help.

Hi again

the fan circuitry is activated by dme ,but relay powered ,the sensitivity issue is in miss fire monitoring for a larger window ,so as not to put the system in to failsafe

this also provides a longer cold run with the low presure pump until the high presure pump is fully primed ,about 90 seconds.

Thanks

And thanks very much for the accept