BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2004 BMW x3: the fuse and depressed the button for about 1 min…

Customer Question
About 3 weeks ago my...
About 3 weeks ago my husband opened the roof on my 2004 BMW x3 3.0 and the roof wouldn't close. I experienced this before maybe a year ago and changed the fuse and depressed the button for about 1 min and the roof reset and had no problems this time the shade closed and left the roof open. I performed another reset and this time the shade opened and left the roof open. We couldn't get it to close so we closed it manually with the hex tool from the trunk but the shade is still open. My truck is unbearably hot its south florida please help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi, what happens when you press the button?
Nothing at all
No sounds? Clicking?
No sounds no clicking reluctant in trying to pull it closed I don't want to break any of the mechanisms

Thanks,

The X3s sunroof has a high fail rate, unfortunately. The cassettes simply wear and crack over time. There are repair kits available, so hopefully that will be sufficient for your repair, and you will not need to replace the cassette. I suspect this is what you are experiencing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please press the ACCEPT button if satisfied with my assistance, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort. I am not compensated until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/29/2010 at 6:11 PM EST