BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

318is: reving..1st and 2nd gear and going into limp mode.. Computer…

Customer Question
318is auto keeps over reving...
318is auto keeps over reving in between 1st and 2nd gear and going into limp mode.. Computer reads 100 gear monitoring?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/29/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but gear monitoring faults almost always require that the transmission be replaced.

The only shot you have is to get the transmission software updated at a BMW dealer, probably will be a charge of 1 hour labor for this. This is a long shot though, as gear monitoring faults usually require a trans replacement.

If that does not stop the tranny from going into limp mode, you can look for a low milage, used transmission using www.car-part.com as this is going to be the cheapest way to get your car back on the road.

I am sorry I can't have better news for you.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance, please use the accept button so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve