BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

1994 BMW 540i: My power steering pump..models..reconditioned…

Customer Question
Hi, My power steering pump has...
My power steering pump has packed up on my 1994 BMW 540i and someone told me that these models wont accept a remanufactured/reconditioned pump.
Is this true?
I plan on purchasing a remanufactured one and getting a mechanic to install it for me.
Do you have any other advice ?
Thanks,
Brad
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/29/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi Brad, welcome to justanswer. Can I please have the last 7 digits of your vin to look this up for you?

Last 7 digits are: GF21239

I am not sure who told you that you cannot use a refurbished pump, this is not true.

Have a look here: LINK (second and third items on the list)

Here is a DIY of a guy that installed his own refurbished pump: LINK

You can install whatever you'd like, new, used, refurbished, etc. So long as it is a part designed for your model, you will be fine.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please press the ACCEPT button if satisfied with my assistance, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort. I am not compensated until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/29/2010 at 5:27 AM EST