BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

lead to service Engine light coming on a 35ik mile drive car.

Customer Question
What could lead to service...
What could lead to service Engine light coming on a 35IK mile drive car. IT has been services propely. Only brak light has apperaed. What shoudl i check frst before taking to delar our fo town and have him rip me
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/28/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hi there,

Unfortunately there are dozens and dozens of reasons that the service engine soon light could come on. There is no way to know what the issue is without having the car scanned for fault codes using a BMW compatible scan tool. Depending on your state, they will probably do this for free for you at autozone. Once you have had the fault codes read, it should point you in the correct direction for a fix. Once the faulty part is replaced, the light can then be turned off with the same scan tool.

If I had to take a wild guess, I would say probably just a sensor of some kind has gone bad, but again, you absolutely must have the codes read to determine which. There is nothing that can be done without the codes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please press the ACCEPT button if satisfied with my assistance, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort. I am not compensated until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/28/2010 at 8:30 AM EST
i will confirm answer after 2-3 more answers. Like to avoid a BMW dealr.

What else would you like to know?

These are generally just small emissions related issues that cause the light to go on. If you give me the zip code of where you are currently, I can suggest an independent BMW specialist in the area. Or, like I mentioned, you can probably have the car scanned for free at autozone.

Once you have the code read, it will likely point you directly to the failed component, which you can have installed easily.

There is really no way of knowing what the problem could be without having the codes read.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Please press accept if satisfied so that I am compensated for my time and effort.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/28/2010 at 8:50 AM EST