BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

1996 BMW: wheel bearings..metal racking noise coming..rotor..plate…

Customer Question
I have a 1996 BMW...
I have a 1996 BMW 328 i , i replaced the back wheel bearings and every since there is a metal to metal racking noise coming from the back wheels, it sounds like a rotor is rubbing a backing plate but thats not it. any ideas what is causing the noise ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/28/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi, have you inspected the rotors?
I have inspected them for groves or markings that would indicate they are rubbing but to no avail ????
Did you installed bmw oem bearings? Is the noise coming from one side or both?

They are not oem bearings, however i do not remember the manufactures name but was told they are good bearings......it sounds like its coming from both wheels ???

I would double check the brakes again to make sure everything is fitted correctly and seating properly. If everything checks out, then I suspect it might be the bearings if there is no signs of contact on the brakes. I would put on a set of OEM, they are much higher quality than most aftermarket ones you will find.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please press the ACCEPT button if satisfied with my assistance, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort. I am not compensated until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/28/2010 at 3:29 AM EST
When the hub is pressed into the bearing is it possible that the hub is pressed to far or not far enough ?
I've never seen that on an oem bearing but it could be possible I suppose.
What im asking is.......... ok the bearing is pressed into the lower arm, then the hub that the tire bolts to, is then pressed into the bearing, that has already been pressed into the lower arm is there any specs on how far the hub should be pressed into the bearing ???
No you should just need to press them in.

Here are the BMW procedures for your car, for reference:

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_458035572&shared_name=7i9lskp05f

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Please press accept if satisfied.

Steve