BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

545i: carfax was fine...it , it has been eating me up in repair cost…

Customer Question
I bought a 545i used...
I bought a 545i used with 61,000 miles on it. Carfax was fine. In the 10,000 miles since I have had it , it has been eating me up in repair cost. Day two of owning it , it wouldn't start and necessiatated it being towed to BMW 1 1/2 hrs away, month later oil leaks necessitated gaskets being replaced, another high dollar fix, master cylinder fixed another month, tranny fixed, told this was a temporary fix as it was a closed system or something, and to get rid of it, now a tire problem light , told rim has a crack. The problem with the transmission, is my concern. I've been told that the automatic transmission ( at least the 2004) model was a problem. Do you know if there was a recall on it. The VIN is WBANB33534B109665 . I understand there was a module problem with models manufactured between 5/04 and 7/04. Not sure if this was one that fell in that manufacture date. Getting frustrated enough to pull the engine transmission combo and put in a chevy engine to make it reliable. Put chevrolet valve cover on it and send the pic to BMW. Wish I had never purchased this car, and am too honest not to tell people of it's problems, thereby killing any potential sells. Help with fixing the tranny at a reasonable price or getting BMW to purchase this lemon would be appreciated. Russell Zepeda [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/27/2010
BMW Mechanic: Roger, BMW Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Roger, BMW Master Tech

Sorry to hear about all of the issues you have had. Can you describe the issue with the transmission in detail? Any fault codes from the last visit when they told you it was a temporary fix?

I will try to help as best as I can. I just want to get an idea of the actual failure in the trans to try to help you better.

Thank you.

Leaking fluids. and feels like it is not shifting properly/ slipping. Not sure of codes as it was taken to a mechanic in Oklahoma City by my wife who is driving it. His name is XXXXX XXXXX his phone number isXXX-XXX-XXXX. Just wondering if you had heard that there were issues with the 2004 545i transmissions. My wife had heard from a friend that her boyfriend had one and he had issues with it. She also stated the mechanic noted above told her the 5 series BMW's were problem plagued.. Was wondering if there was a recall on it in the past, to perhaps stop this hemmorage of cash going out on it.

Unfortunately there has not been any recall on your transmission. They do have two points that are common to leak. One is the mechatronic seal (the connector for the valve body/computer) and the other is the pan (plastic pan that can warp and then leak over time.)

Most transmission issues, aside from internal failure of the clutches, can often be resolved with a programming update. Software fixes include delay after a stop, and various shift point problems. We do not replace that many transmissions at the dealer for this vehicle year. They are known for some software bugs and the leaks listed above. Very occasionally we see a complete failure, but this is not common and usually after a programming you find that the shifting symptoms remain. If so then eventually a transmission will be needed. However, you can usually get a lot of time out of it before it completely fails.

If you do have leaks, when the fluid is low it can create shifting problems. I would recommend repairing the leaks and having the software updated. The entire vehicle will be done as that is how BMW software works. Have them check to see if the program number changes to an updated number. This would be a good thing as it would indicate that there is a software fix applicable to your vehicle.

I hope this information is helpful. Please accept and please let me know if I can try to help you further or clarify anything for you. I hope it works out for the best. Also, it might be worth talking to the service manager about "goodwill" for your problem. Sometimes BMW will pay for half or all of a repair. They can also check in the history of the vehicle to see if this is an ongoing problem even before you purchased the vehicle.