BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

328i: on cold start..few seconds hesitates..runs fine

Customer Question
328i here 2007 Occasionally on...
328i here 2007

Occasionally on cold start for a few seconds hesitates badly and makes a weird but not loud , humming noise...then runs fine !

My warranty has 300 miles left on it (Im at 49 700) I also need advice if theres a way to preserve my warranty w/dealer by alerting or stopping by.

We are in a situation with my dad who had a heart attack 2 days ago and I may have to go with the car on a moments notice to his city and that is 400 miles rt !

Thoughts on the problem AND any ideas how to preserve my rights on warranty
If I am called away and hvae to drive the car over 50K before I can get the car serviced?

I am using Shell 93

thks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/25/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Sorry to hear of your predicament.

You will want to register this fact with your dealer and bmw customer service. If you raise this now, they will likely honor your warranty given the circumstances. If they give you a hard time about it, you can always rent a car for a few days.

Also, all dealers have what is called "goodwill warranty" that can be used in cases like yours, with a car that is barely out of warranty, or a car that is out of warranty with a very common problem.

So, if they won't preserve your warranty, you always have the goodwill route.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Steve

thank you

any ideas on the issue itself?

It runs fine and has to really be sitting cold several days to notice this,

but its noticable when it happens...and doesnt last long !!!

Bad fuel??

It is hard to say what it might be as there are a number of things it could be really. Issue with the fuel pump, injectors, idle regulating valve, mass airflow sensor, etc. This will be best diagnosed using the proper equipment. I do not suspect the gas, though.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/25/2010 at 2:45 AM EST

would diagnosis be easy at the dealership to spot any of the above given its intermittant and on COLD only?

Would it need to sit there for a day or more given its cold start only?

It might have to sit to replicate, yes. Hopefully they will be able to offer you a loaner/courtesy car during this period.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
ok thanks !
You're welcome. Good luck.