BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2002 530i: manual says..altenator..volts..running fine

Customer Question
i drive a 2002 530i.....
i drive a 2002 530i... the red battery indicator on the dash came on the manual says it's the alternator belt or altenator... we checked the belt it's ok... we used a voltage meter on the altenator and it is reading 12 almost 13 volts ...car is starting and running fine... any suggestions on what else could be going on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/25/2010
BMW Mechanic: Roger, BMW Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Roger, BMW Master Tech

I will try to help you with this. The best thing to do at this point it to monitor the battery voltage with a load on the engine. Some times when an alternator begins to fail it can be an intermittent failure before it begins to worsen. To check the alternator under load turn on the headlights, radio, seat heaters, ac, lights to put an electrical load. Normally you should see aprox 12.5 to 14 volts and it should not drop over time. If the voltage fluctuates below this then the alternator is showing signs of failing.

The other item to check will be the battery to make sure this might be also contributing to the problem. Check for any corrosion at the battery (located in the right rear panel in the trunk). Make sure the cables are tight as well at the terminals. You can also check the date stamp on the battery to see how old the battery is. This is located on the top of the negative terminal. If the battery is over 4 years old it can lead to the alternator overcharging and sometimes lead to an alternator failure.

The last possibility is that the charge on the battery was low or you have a bad cell in the battery. This can make the vehicle think the battery is low and when started the battery light will be on to inform you that the battery needs to be charged. The battery can be tested at any auto parts store for no charge to check for a bad cell.

I hope this information is helpful. Please accept and please let me know if I can clarify anything for you. Thank you.

Roger, BMW Master Tech

hey there sorry for the delay in payment... couldn't find where i logged in ... I have other questions regarding the same car... how do i go about getting those questions to you?

thanks

bmw lady

Hello bmw lady,

I would be glad to help. You can just ask the on this post and I can see if I can help. If I can help then you can hit the accept tab just like it was a new question. If it relates to the original question, then I will do my best to try to help you further without prompting for the accept tab. Please let me know by posting back here. Thank you.

thanks.. is there a way to tell which O2 sensor is in need of replacement the computer is showing the O2 sensor... what are symptoms that the car may be doing if the O2 sensor / sensors are bad?