BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

need to reset my service engine light

Customer Question
need to reset my service engine light
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/24/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

is this the check engine light, or the service interval light?

service engine soon i change the oil and i need to reset that light

This light indicates a fault with your engine, this is not the oil service light. You will need to have the car scanned for fault codes with a BMW compatible scan tool to determine why the light came on, and then fix the issue. Once you have fixed the issue, the light can be reset with the scan tool. There is no other way to reset this light, you need to fix the underlying cause first.

Cheers,

Steve

it say service engine soon i went over the miles for the oil change and the light come on i change the oil but could not reset the light

that is not the light for chaning your oil. that is a different issue. you will need to have the car scanned for faults.

You can reset the oil indicator using this procedure:

Ignition key must be off

Press and hold the trip odometer reset button in the instrument cluster and turn the ignition key to position 1 (first click).

Keep the button pressed for approx. 5 seconds until one of the following words appear in the display: "Oil Service" or "Inspection", with "Reset".

Once the word is shown, press and hold the reset button again until the word "Reset" begins to flash.

While the display is flashing, press the left button briefly to reset the service interval.

You will get a message indicating you have completed the reset.

Cheers,

Steve