Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

the temperature sensor or the dashboard lite...guesses

Customer Question

on dashboard temperature does not show.. sometimes one imean one pixel shows sometimes two up and down like a colon.

is this the temperature sensor or the dashboard lite. ..my mechanic said if it was sensor it would read something and not nothing..

Do u have an answer and not just more guesses.. ???
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

To confirm, sometimes it shows nothing, and sometimes it shows two dots?

Steve

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes that is true and my mechanic like I said thinks it is pixels .. is this true and how do I fix.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

Yes, it does sound like pixels.

This is a common problem. BMW has started covering this for customers because it is so common. You need to call their customer service department ( 1(NNN) NNN-NNNN). I believe there is a customer copay for this fix.

If your vehicle will not be covered by BMW, you can look into outside repair services such as:

LINK

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please press the accept button if satisfied with my assistance so that I am compensated for my time and effort. I am not compensated until you press accept.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/24/2010 at 4:12 AM EST
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so the two small pizels are there but other numbers COMPLETELY are gone and that seems very odd.. is that what you are saying a coincidence. I dont need to replace the 0 sending unit cause if that was bad it would read -40 correct ??

I need to contact dealer and \or call BMW ..

it seems odd that again ALL the numbers are not lit and if it is a bulb the two colons again sometimes one .. sometimes 2 dots that make the colon and sometimes none are part of this issue..

is this correct .. and any other data or suggestions ??
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

Yes if the temp guage goes out it usually displays some hugely negative number.

I would contact BMW customer service first to see what they suggest, then your dealer next.

The pixel issue is common and they can fail in random ways. If you do some google searches you will find a lot of info from people who have experienced the same thing.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please press accept if satisfied.

Cheers,

Steve

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
that doesnt tell me much how do I fix myself.. any articles ?
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

This isn't something that you can properly fix without replacing the panel.

There are some do it yourself articles out there on band aid solutions though. None of these are really permanent fixes though. The only permanent fix is to replace the LCD panel. As I mentioned before, I suggest you contact BMW to see if they are willing to cover a portion of it.

Here is one of the more thurough articles.

LINK

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please press ACCEPT if satisfied with my assistance as this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. I do not receive any compensation whatsoever until you press accept.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/25/2010 at 12:14 AM EST
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

Hi again,

What about my answer is incomplete?

Your question was whether or not your problem is the temp sensor, or the display. I believe I have answered this question and have suggested all of you options and provided a do it yourself guide.

What else would you like to know in order to be satisfied with my answer?

Steve

Edited by Steve on 6/25/2010 at 4:18 AM EST