BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

325i: lost power..expansion tank cracked, drove..new plugs..cylinders…

Customer Question
325i 2001, driving on freeway...
325i 2001, driving on freeway car lost power, pulled over expansion tank cracked, drove up to freeway exit had oil coming ont of left side of engine. Had car towed home, replaced coolent tank, lower theromstat, radiator cap, found hole in hose from crankcase diafram to dip stick replaced hose, installed new plugs, engine ran rough and started to clean up after getting cylinders burned clean. Blead the coolent tank 5 to 10 times, motor over heats lower radiator hose is cold like thermostat is not opening, replaced thermostat with new dealer one and still have the same problem. Run car for approx. 5 minutes gauge shows midrange temp and the shoots up to red. I had checked oil filter and dipstick no signs of water. car on freeway only got to red for matbe 30 sec. to 1 minute then shut down.
Took coils off my 330i and car ran same. Run car bleed valve lets steam/water out when opened, car over heats in 5 minutes, lower hose to radiator is cold, checked all fuses, wire conections in engine campartment, seams t-stat is not opening, heater on full, oil clean, remover filter oil clean, have always ran synthetic oil, ran water thru radiatior ran thru very fast with hose placed in top by exp. tank out the lower hose connection. the box under manifold where all wire harness connect never opened to check inside. Plugs look clean [email protected] reads p0300,p0128, p01345, p01349.
If I have blowen head gasket the thermostet should open, does thermostat open by temperature and or by 2 wire connection?
Sorry about the $20.00 my wife and I have been unemployed for almost a year, I am trying to go back and sell engine parts, I have sold cylinder heads to Warehouse dist. and performance valves to specilist, valve seats to Australain company and still looking for job, lot of experance but in you mid 50's their are alost of people out looking for work.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/22/2010
BMW Mechanic: bimmaster, BMW Technician replied 8 years ago
bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Hi, how was the system bled?
It could just be air in the system.
The proper way to fill the system is as follows:
Engine completely cold, and off.
Open bleeder screw, or remove.
Fill coolant slowly until bubble free coolant comes out of the bleed hole. Don't be afraid to overfill the tank. Once bubble free coolant is coming out of bleeder, install and tighten bleed screw gently.
Then suck out any excess coolant from the tank.
Run the engine with the heater on, and see if it still overheats.

The thermostat is opened simply by heat, like any regular t-stat. The two wires going to it are for a heating element inside which is controlled by the engine computer in the case that it needs to run the engine cooler than normal, under high load conditions.

I was trying to reply and computer shutdown! The thermostat still remains closed and car over heats. Lower hose to radiator is cold, should I disconnect the elec. wires to stat so the thermostat will maybe open? Any other way to check or reason for the condition? Please advise, I was gone for two days on business. Thanks Dale

Ok, so you bled the system as I stated above?
Disconnecting the wire from thermostat really wouldn't help.
Is the system getting pressurize when cold?
You could use a coolant test strip that checks for combustion remnants in the coolant, which would indicate a head gasket issue.

It could also be a water pump problem. Some pumps have a plastic impeller that can fail and cause no water to flow through the system.
With the system full, cold, and engine running open the coolant filler cap, run the engine for a few minutes and see if coolant starts flowing into the tank.
Or remove and inspect the water pump.

I replaced broken water pump, temp. is now normal. The expansion tank has high pressure remaining after the bleeder screw has been removed. No water in oil or oil in water. I am going to remove and replace the crankcase diafram, dip stick o ring I see oil still after repairing hose that was broken, this should fix the miss fire code.

I still don't understand the pressure in expansion tank, water pumps out of tank when I crank over engine, sounds like head gasket but there are no other signs of leaking head gasket. Do the head gasket sealers work with a small leak like this or Fel-pro gasket that seals small imperfections with out machining head, I will check for cracks and straightness after I remove head before taking to machine shop.

Please point me in the right direction and I will accept answer, thank you for your time and assistance.

Ok, so the water pump impeller was broken?
Was the system bled like I stated above? Filled while cold, with the bleeder screw out?