BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

1991 325IX: knocking noise..low speeds, but is fine..power loss…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a manual...
Hi, I have a manual 1991 325IX BMW with 240k miles. It started to make a knocking noise and now has started to spudder at low speeds, but is fine above 40. Not a huge power loss but some is noticed. I think I also smell gas a little stronger in the exhaust. It is not smoking, just riding and sounding ruff.
I have always maintained it well with tunes ups and oil changes.
Can anyone suggest what I might be looking at here and what might be basic problems I should trouble shoot first :(
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/19/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

How, how long has it been since you replaced the fuel and air filters, and the spark plugs?