BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

bmw x5: 2007 e70 v8 from a auction house..mean, and whats the worst…

Customer Question
ive just bought a bmw...
ive just bought a bmw x5 2007 e70 v8 from a auction house, they said that it is fresh water affected, what does that mean, and whats the worst it could be? i havnt checked it yet, but im pretty scared, should i be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/18/2010
BMW Mechanic: George, BMW Technician replied 8 years ago
George
George, BMW Technician

Fresh water effected means that the vehicle has suffered from fresh water flooding. After dealing with many vehicles like this, you want to stay far away from this vehicle. The damage any water causes to these vehicles is extensive, with all the electronics in this vehicle and many being at floor level the damage and problems it causes is not worth the problems or the expense that will be involved.

___________

If I have answered your question I ask that you please accept.

ive already bought it, cant i put a scanner on it to fix it?
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

George's answer was correct. This car is going to have issues with the electronics going forward. There is no way to predict what the problems could be, it all depends what corrodes and when.

Edited by Steve on 6/18/2010 at 4:22 PM EST