bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Experience:  3 years dealer experience, master bmw tech
19948718

2004 BMW 525i: key turns..turns all lights come on but it doesnt turn

Customer Question

2004 BMW 525i key turns all lights come on but it doesnt turn over ...ocassionally a "unlock button" will come on in the service message
Category: BMW
Expert:  bimmaster replied 8 years ago.
Hi, do you have a spare key you could try?
Sometimes these keys fail and won't send the proper message to the anti theft system, which is needed for the engine to crank and start.

Try a spare if possible, if not then you may want to order a spare key from your dealer. You'll need proof of ownership and you'r license to order the key.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The " P " on the gear shift stays lit even after I pull the key out does that make sense
Expert:  bimmaster replied 8 years ago.
Thats normal, it will normally stay on for about 15-30 min until the car assumes sleep mode. Nothing to worry about there.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
when I turn the key a "unlock Button " goes on and then off in the display window
Expert:  bimmaster replied 8 years ago.
That indicates that there is something wrong with the key. Do you have a spare to try?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I tried my spare and the valet ...

Expert:  bimmaster replied 8 years ago.
Ok, at this point there is not much that can be done without a bmw scan tool to check for fault codes.
There is likely something failed in the anti-theft system.
Most bmw shops will charge 1 hour labor for initial diagnostics.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it was the starter. how difficult is it to replace ?
Expert:  bimmaster replied 8 years ago.
It's a bit tricky, the screws are hard to access, it's a 3-4 hour job for a regular technician.