BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2001 BMW 330xi: AWD with 79,000 miles on it..maybe cars

Customer Question
Hello, I am considering...
Hello, I am considering to purchase a 2001 BMW 330xi AWD with 79,000 miles on it. Can you tell me if I should be concerned about the quality of this car, if it has a history of problems at all?
At this age for the car would i expect costly maintenance to keep it running? I have been told that general repairs will be more expensive than maybe cars like Chevys, pontiac sedans of the same age. Your guidance on this will be most appreciated.
Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/14/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hi there,

BMWs fair well over 100k mi, but they still require maintenance. I personally drove a 1996 381i 4cyl to 160,000mi. It didn't require much, but a few things here and there.

If the car is auto, I would suggest having the transmission fluid flushed at about 100k miles. The water pump might be something to check too, as these tend to fail sometime after 100k miles. Also, all lines/hoses, sway bar links and the thrust arm bushings tend to start cracking from age at approx 100,000. You should change the plugs if they have not yet been done.

Finally, make sure you adhere to the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual - ie change all fluids, filters, belts etc at the recommended intervals. Also, I would recommend changing your oil a bit more regularly than the service indicator tells you to - if it were me, I would change it every 5000mi.

The truth is that the parts for a BMW are more expensive than the parts for a Chevy or Toyota, but if the car is properly maintained, these costs can be mitigated as fewer parts will need to be replaced.

I would strongly advise you to get a pre-purchase inspection done at a BMW dealer or independent BMW specialist. It will be well worth the $100 to $150 it costs to ensure there are no surprises with the car if you do go ahead and buy it.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance, please use the accept button so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

So just for clarification. This car does not have any typical headaches to be aware of? Generally if maintained well - it should be a high quality car that will last like you say to the 150K mile range.

Correct, there is no reason why I would advise you against this car. If it checks out well, it should easily last you to 150,000mi or beyond with minimal issues.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please press accept if satisfied.

Cheers,

Steve

One last thing. I see that your experience is due to working at BMW headquarters. What experience do you have with seeing what takes place in the field with old BMW vehicles and the frequency of issues they actually experience with age.

I want to make sure I am not getting an opinion on what design intent is but, what is happeing in real life with these cars and what the typical BMW maintenance shop sees over time? If you know what I mean.

I am not just commenting without experience / exposure.

If you have a pre-purchase inspection done on the car, you will be safe.

Edited by Steve L on 6/14/2010 at 4:28 PM EST
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Thank you very much for your time.
you are welcome good luck with the purchase.