BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2000 bmw 323i: the air still blows but DOES NOT STAY COOL...WHY…

Customer Question
have a 2000 bmw323i....
have a 2000 bmw323i. A/c works fine when I am driving/moving in my car. HOWEVER, when I come to a red light, the air still blows but DOES NOT STAY COOL...WHY?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/14/2010
BMW Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

That sounds like the compressor is weak but you will want to check the system pressures to be sure. Normally when you are driving the compressor turns faster and the pressure will go up on the high side as well as down on the low side.

When a compressor gets weak, then when you are at idle, the high side will drop and the low side pressure will go up, causing a "not cold" condition of the inside air temperature.

How do they test that? Is there a compressor test?
You would have to see what the system pressures are while at idle and at around 2300 RPM's to see what is going on with it. There is a good chance that the compressor is weak, if the engine is not running hot and the radiator fan stays on.
my hubby had the compressor replaced about a year go...:(
And the pressure is?