BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2009 750i: whine..500 rpm..ac and radio on), especially in sport mode…

Customer Question
Engine whine between 1800-2,500 rpm...
Engine whine between 1800-2,500 rpm on a 2009 750i BMW. Fairly loud (without the AC and radio on), especially in "sport mode." BMW says it's normal: "you have a 400 hp twin turbo." Very irritating and I don't think it's normal.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/10/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Unfortunately the dealers are correct. The engine noise is normal if you are driving in sport mode and pushing the car.

There isn't much you can do but "vote with your wallet" and trade it in for a different vehicle.

Please let me know if you have further questions, I am happy to answer follow ups. If satisfied with my assistance, please use the accept button so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press ACCEPT.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Steve L on 6/10/2010 at 7:29 PM EST
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Steve, thank you for your answer. Could you tell me what causes the noise and if there is anyway to reduce it? I don't drive hard and push the car. The noise is present regardless of the style of driving - just more noticable when in sport mode.

It is just the sound of the engine revving to those rpm levels. There isn't really a way to reduce it, other than by driving in normal mode, where the shift points are different.

Edited by Steve L on 6/10/2010 at 8:57 PM EST
But the noise is noticable when driving in normal mode (not as bad, because of the shift points). Why the noise only between the mentioned rpms? This is my third 7 series and I've never experienced anything like this. Do you know what specifically causes the noise?

It is the turbo. Turbos whine. The turbo in my wife's 2.0 L volkswagen does it too.

Your previous 7s did not have turbos.