BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2002 325xi: could you walk me through the steps?

Customer Question
we just installed a new...
we just installed a new garage door and need to reprogram my 2002 325xi to open the door. could you walk me through the steps? thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: BMW
6/9/2010
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hi there,

Here are the steps to program the opener.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance, please press accept so that I am compensated for my time, effort and expertise. I am not compensated until you press accept.

Cheers,

Steve

NOTE: Some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or to the second (or"accessory") position for programming and/or operation of HomeLink. It is also recommended that a new battery be replaced in the hand held transmitter of the device being programmed to HomeLink for quicker training and accurate transmission of the radio frequency. Please use a ladder and do not stand on your vehicle during the programming steps for a rolling code opener.

Rolling Code Programming:
1. Press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds). Do not hold for longer than 30 seconds. Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

2. Place the hand-held remote 1-3 inches from the HomeLink button you want to program.

3. Simultaneously, press and hold both the HomeLink and hand-held remote buttons. Do not release either button until step 4 has been completed. (If you reside in Canada, refer to the "NOTE" below.)

4. When the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash, release both buttons.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the"learn" or "smart" button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached).

6. Press and release this "learn" or "smart" button. (The name of these buttons vary by manufacturer.) There are 30 seconds in which to initiate step 7.

7. Firmly press, hold for two seconds, and release the programmed HomeLink button. Do this procedure again and, depending on the make of your garage door opener, do this procedure a third time to complete the procedure.

The garage should now activate when the programmed HomeLink button is firmly pressed and released. If not, give us a call or refer to the "Troubleshooting Tips" noted below.

NOTE: If you reside in Canada, replace step three with the following: Press and hold the desired HomeLink button and "cycle" the hand-held remote. To cycle: Press and release the hand-held remote button every two seconds until the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash(step four).

Troubleshooting Tips:

** Check the frequency of the garage door opener's hand-held remote (usually found on the back). HomeLink is compatible with radio-frequency devices operating between 288-399 Mhz.

** Put a brand new, store bought battery in the hand held remote. During the programming process (step three above) the battery's energy tends to drain (more so with an older battery). A new battery will increase the speed and accuracy in which the hand-held remote sends its signal to HomeLink.

** Retrain HomeLink holding the hand-held remote at different lengths and angles from the HomeLink button you are trying to program (during programming step three). Try 4-6 inches away at a different angle.

** Confirm that the HomeLink button you are trying to program is in the "programming mode". Press and hold the desired button. The indicator light will be a slow blink when HomeLink is in the "programming" mode and can be programmed at any time.

Verifying HomeLink has picked up a rolling code signal:

** Press and hold the programmed HomeLink button. If the indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds and turns solid, HomeLink has successfully picked up the rolling code signal. If necessary, proceed with steps 5-7 noted above to complete the rolling code programming.

If this does not work, please call our customer service center for further assistance at the number above. They will be able to troubleshoot further over the phone, while you are sitting in your vehicle in front of the garage Please contact me again if you have additional comments or questions.