BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 2006 325i and the brake light came on along with

Customer Question
I have a 2006 325i...
I have a 2006 325i and the "brake" light came on along with the "dealer service" symbol. I changed both the front and rear brake pads and reset both of them in the cluster compartment, but I couldn't add new miles. However, the "brake" light is still on , and the "dealer service" symbol continues to turn on for a few minutes whenever I start or shut down the car.
How can I turn off the "brake" light and the "dealer service" symbol? And how can I add the miles of the new brake pads in the cluster compartment?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: BMW
3/2/2010
BMW Mechanic: bimmaster, BMW Technician replied 7 years ago
bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Hi, if the brake pads were worn out, then the wear sensors front and rear will need to be replaced with the new pads. There is one mounted to the left front, and right rear inboard brake pads. These rub on the rotor when pads are low. the system will not reset if these have not been replaced.

Once the wear sensors are replaced then reset as follows:
Push start button twice with the foot off the back and clutch....when check control image disappears and all that is left is current time on the LCD panel of the instrument cluster, press and hold the odometer reset button. After a few seconds, a yellow icon will show up showing that you have service indicator light on. Push and hold the "BC" button of the turn signal stalk until it states "Reset?" let go of the button and push the button back in and hold, a little clock will come up, once the clock graphic besides the reset goes away let go. Turn the car off and restart as normal. The brake light service indicator has now been reset.

Also, here is a video on how to do it.

If the sensors are new, and you've tried the reset several times, then the dealer will have to try the reset with the scan tool.

Thank You bimmaster, you have been very helpfull. I will follow your instructions but I also need to know if I have to set the miles the new pads are going to last in the respective brake symbols (front and rear)of the instrument cluster.

PD. I can not see the video you mention.

Yes, if either the front or rear were replaced then either the front or the rear cbs needs to be reset as well.
both of them were replaced and I already reset them. But looks like I have to set the new miles this pads are going to last but I don't know how to put those numbers.
It's automatic during the reset. You don't enter any numbers.
The mileage won't change if the sensors weren't replaced, or there is something actually wrong with the braking system.
bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
bimmaster
bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician