Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

BMW: I go to a dealer repair center which is a distance from my home

how do I turn off the BMW assist on my 2004 325XI. I did not subscribe to it after it expired and now the phone keeps ringing thru the radio in my car. Must I go to a dealer repair center which is a distance from my home? Please answer [email protected] thanks
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

Do you have a bluetooth phone that you use with the vehicle? And if so, what type of phone is it?

E-mail adresses are blocked out so I will not be able to respond using e-mail.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no I do not have bluetooth capability nor any other means of communicating with BMW assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
The first thing I would like you to try is a battery reset. To do this disconnect the negative side of the battery to perform the battery reset. Make sure the vehicle is unlocked and leave the trunk open so you van acess the battery. Let the vehicle sit disconnect for 1 hour. Then reconnect and check operation. This is like doing a reboot of your computer but we are rebooting the modules in the vehicle. If this does not work I will give you instructions on disconnecting the telematics control module next.

Let me know how it goes. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will take the car to my local service station (not BMW) and direct him to do as you suggest. I will also ask my son to do this first since I am a senior citizen but if he cannot then I will take it to the service station. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX does not work I think I will just put up with the phone ringing on an intermittent basis. Last evening in a trip that was about 10 miles it rang 2x and sometimes on a longer drive it does not ring at all. Gremlins!! As long as I know it will not do any damage to the car I can put up with it if necessary.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will have someone try this since I am a senior. What do I do next if this does not work? thanks
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

The next step would be to disconnect the Telematics unit. Sometimes this will reset the module and allow it to work normally. If at that point it still has a problem either it can be left disconnected or the module would have to be replaced. But hopefully the battery reset will work.

Please let me know how it goes and I will do my best to help you further. I can then post some instructions for your son as unplugging this module is not too difficult.

Hopefully I can help you get rid of the Gremlins!!! :)

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The BMW Machanic was very helpful and prompt in his answers. The problem that I had has been resolved to my satisfaction and I thank you. BMW 325XI owner.