BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

330ci: backing out of the garage I knocked..metal..mounts…

Customer Question
I have a 330ci. backing...
I have a 330ci. backing out of the garage I knocked off the back plastic cover to the passager side mirror. The mirror, front plastic cover and metal of the side mirror are fine so I bought a new plastic back cover from BMW and the 4 female plastic mounts the new cover would plug into.

I can't figure out how to move the mirror or remove the mirror to plug in the femail ounts to the frame so can then put the new cover on.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: BMW
1/3/2010
BMW Mechanic: Kellie, BMW Technician replied 12 years ago
Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician
Hi newguy,

I just want to make sure I have it right. Is the part you're trying to replace number 7 or number 8 in the picture below?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/l/s/191.png

Edited by Kellie on 1/3/2010 at 2:06 AM EST
Yes, It is the small number 7 part (above the #4 part) I am trying to plug in. Once I put the 4 new mounts, then the back cover clips into those 4 mounts to hold the cover in place.
You shouldn't need to remove the mirror to install the trim. Are the old plastic clips still installed in the mirror? I don't remember ever having to replace those clips to install new trim. Usually it's just a matter of popping off the damaged piece and clipping the new one into place. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding though.

Although the diagram is not exact. It should be good enough to get us through the conversation. 2 of the small number 7 mounts that would hold the back cover in place are gone.

Sort of in the middle above the picture, above the screw, is the mounts I need to install.

Once I get those in the cover should plug right in.

Sorry for the delay, I was trying to find a photo of the clips. I've replaced mirror trim dozens of times, but I have never replaced the clips. Judging by the picture, it appears that they just snap in. Would it be possible for you to attach a photo? If that's too much trouble, I can open this question back up for another expert to answer.

They look exactly like like picture. The problem is it looks like I need to remove the mirror to get enough room to plug these little pieces in.

The really would just snap in if I have access from the mirror side. If you can tell me the right way to remove the mirror I could just plug them in.

I was hoping there was a trick and I didn't have to remove the mirror.

To remove the mirror glass, tilt the mirror to the top and carefully pry with a plastic trim tool (preferred) or flathead screwdriver wrapped in masking tape to push the bottom of the mirror toward you. It should unclip pretty easily. If it's heated, you may need to disconnect the wires which pull straight out. To reinstall it, you simply press it back on until it clips back into place. Make sure all of the clips are fastened tightly, you don't want to lose your mirror glass.
Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician