BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

olds: upper hose to stop leaking at the plastic fitting where it goes…

Customer Question
2001 e39 just replaced the...
2001 e39 just replaced the rad and cannot get the upper hose to stop leaking at the plastic fitting where it goes into the rad. i assume the o ring goes in the groove on the fitting. i was a journeyman tech at olds years ago....this seems too simple....
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: BMW
1/2/2010
BMW Mechanic: Kellie, BMW Technician replied 12 years ago
Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician
Hi kcj2671,

Is the upper hose you're installing new or old? If it's new, is it a BMW part, or aftermarket?
The hose is the original. The coolant is pushing past the plastic adapter that connects to the rad itself, well beyond the hose. The vicinity would be where the clip is that holds the assembly to the rad. The rad is aftermarket, but dimensionally is the same as the OEM
Any time I do work to the plastic cooling system components, I recommend replacing the radiator hoses. Once those plastic hoses are removed from whatever part they were attached to for thousands of miles, the chance of them sealing properly again is pretty slim. Even if they seal initially, they're likely to develop a leak in a few hundred to a few thousand miles.

I would definitely replace at least the leaky hose (if not both), then pressure test the cooling system. If you decide to replace the lower hose as well, replace the temp sensor too. Another big leaker and BMW doesn't sell the o-ring separately.
so you are saying that a new hose comes with the plastic part that is causing the issue? The look like separate components and not being as familiar with BMW as I am with other cars, assumes that when we talk hose, we mean rubber and the other part is separate. Can you verify this?
The hose is all one piece, plastic and rubber. When you purchase a new hose, it comes with the rubber portion in the middle and the plastic ends that clip onto the radiator/thermostat/etc.
Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician