BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

1997 BMW 740i: firing..rough..2000 rpm until its engine sounded…

Hi, I have a 1997...

Hi, I have a 1997 BMW 740i that refuses to start. On its last start it had a hard time (turned for a an unusually long 15 secs before firing on...) But then its idle was very rough. So I reved the engine to 2000 rpm until its engine sounded steadly. After moving her into drive, on the drive home, the check engine light came on within the several mile drive home. Thereafter, it has turned once but not started, refused to turn several times but made a clicking sound... I even recharged its battery and tried tried jumping it to no avail. Is this a feul system, an electrical system or some other problem. Its wipers have also refused to turn and its dash cluster guages were on the blink within the week just prior to the start engine coming on. The fuses look fine so am confused what might be the root cause for these malfunctions? The OBD2 outputs a P1747. Where are the relevant modules located and how can this problem be resolved.

Thanks

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2010
BMW Mechanic: Kellie, BMW Technician replied 12 years ago
Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician
HiCustomer

This one might be kind of tough to diagnose without having the car in front of me, but I do have a few thoughts. The code you mentioned is a CAN communication fault for the transmission, and I have never seen it cause a no-start condition. Are you sure that's the only fault stored? Did the transmission go into failsafe while you were driving? Did any DSC/ABS lights come on?

Hi Kellie,

No the car did not go into fail safe mode or show any DSC/ABS. Gut feel tells me that the problem is related to the cold damp conditions that may be causing condensation in and around the fuse areas... If I could get the car started, I could garage it to see if condencesation is the root cause. Is there a way to by-pass the code and get the car started?

Thanks.

I was thinking it may be related to moisture as well, I have seen water enter the E-box where the control units are housed and cause problems. Remove the black plastic cover that's located on the passenger side firewall. It should be fastened with a few allen screws. Inspect for any water damage, carefully remove the connectors on the large control units and see if there is any green corrosion or residue. Also check the fuses in the little white plastic fuse block and let me know what you find.

You can try clearing the code and see if the car starts, but it may not clear.
Kellie
Kellie, BMW Technician